UPDATE FROM TENANTS’ FORUM 29 JUNE
5 July 2022
HIGHLIGHTS FROM TENANTS’ FORUM MEETING ON 29 JUNE:
Our last Tenants’ Forum took place on Wednesday 29 June on Teams and was hosted by Sarah-Jane Burns, Business Community Development Manager at The Crichton Trust. Thanks to those who joined us and for those who couldn’t make it this month, you can find the highlights below:
POINTS OF INTEREST FROM 29 JUNE:
- INTRODUCTIONS: Sarah-Jane welcomed everyone to the meeting and invited anyone attending for the first time to introduce themselves.
- THEME: General Update
- TENANT UPDATES:
- Beth Morrison from Just Breathe O2 in Grierson House provided an update at the meeting. Just Breath O2 opened in March 22 and is the first Oxygen Therapy Clinic in Dumfries and Galloway. This non-invasive therapy benefits those suffering from a range of conditions such as; MS, ME, Crones Disease, Fibromyalgia, Asthma and many more. As an anti-inflammatory oxygen is good for all types of inflammation. An initial consultation is required to review a suitable treatment plan. As part of Beth’s update she invited tenants/employees at The Crichton to try out a 45-minute Oxygen Therapy Session for only £35 during July. Further information and online forms to make use of this offer can be found here.
- Michelle Mitchell from The Boyd Group in Carmont House sent her apologies, but shared information about forthcoming training courses available at their training centre at The Crichton over the summer if any individual or business is interested. Courses include Emergency First Aid at Work, Working at Height, Fire Warden, Fire Awareness and Confined Spaces.
- Kenny Henry from The Crichton Trust provided the update. In recent weeks there have been ongoing repairs to the roads on site and white lining at junctions will begin wc. 4th July. The organ in the church has also been undergoing significant repairs and will be tuned and will hopefully be ready for use again by the end of July. Water and power supplies have also been installed around the church lawn to better service outdoor events at The Crichton. A new reporting system for property and health and safety issues is being rolled out across buildings. There will be an A4 sign in the foyer of each building with with a QR code which can be scanned with a phone to report any maintenance, repairs or health and safety issues directly to the property team.
- Questions/requests from tenants at the meeting included:
- Query re recycling bins at Solway House
- Queries re the location of new reporting system
- Upgrades and maintenance issues in Galloway House
- Ways to reduce heating bills across the site, including communications encouraging people to reduce heating during June to August and encourage everyone to wrap up and/or use electric heaters on colder days.
- Water temperature be reviewed in Grierson House
- Crichton Central opening hours Mon-Fri 8am-6pm and Sat/Sun 9am-4pm
- Swimming pool at Easterbrook Bistro open 7 days a week (8am-8pm)
- Both venues have recently launched new membership schemes
- The Connectors Workspace for co-working at Crichton Central is now open
- Tenants are invited to become Community Members of Crichton Central for free as part of their lease agreement with The Crichton Trust. To set up membership please contact Sarah-Jane
- Tenants are invited to sign up to the Crichton Central mailing list for updates via the website footer (subscribe option)
- Meeting rooms available to hire at Crichton Central. Discounted rates are available for tenants via the Community Membership.
- RECENT EVENTS:
- The first Ladyfield Consultation event took place earlier in June.
- DASA Borderlands Roadshow was hosted at Crichton Central on 16 June.
- British Cycling UK National Road Championships The Time Trials took place at The Crichton on Thursday 23rd June. Most tenants were very accommodating on the day and many appreciated the opportunity to host the event and to enjoy spectating, but it was acknowledged that others felt disappointed about the lack of notice given to tenants around the road closures and access times, and given the nature of their work had lost income as a result. While the Trust had communicated as soon as they were able and had tried to work with tenants to provide flexible access to those who needed it, they acknowledged that earlier notice would have been helpful. Thank you to everyone who supported the Trust with this project. Sarah-Jane highlighted that a similar event would also take place in 2023 (dates now online 3-13 August, with the Para-cycling Road Race taking place in Dumfries and Galloway) and, where possible, details will be shared well in advance. https://www.cyclingworldchamps.com/event
- Community Picnic (Crichton Summer Social): A picnic was held for tenants, trustees and employees on Friday 24th June on the lawn next to The Crichton Memorial Church. Thanks to everyone who came along, around 35 in total. Our winter social will take place in December in Crichton Central, details to follow in the newsletter.
- EVENTS COMING UP:
- Doonhame Festival: Tenants asked about plans for the Doonhame Festival taking place on site on 22nd and 23rd July and were particularly keen to know about any restricted access or parking. It was noted, that noise should be expected over the course of the event and although busier than normal, access to the site would still be possible. Further information about the festival and any restricted access or road closures will be shared with tenants asap.
- Check out The Crichton What’s On for the latest updates about forthcoming events including a range of outdoor theatre shows this summer from Illyria Theatre Company.
- NEW Walk and Talk: New informal Walk and Talk sessions for tenants, colleagues, members and partners will start at Crichton Central on every second Wednesday of each month. Next one is today, 29 June. Contact Sarah-Jane.
- NEW Coffee and Chat: New drop-in Coffee and Chat sessions for tenants, colleagues, members and partners will start at Crichton Central on the first Tuesday of each month. Next one is Tuesday 5th July from 10-11am. Contact Sarah-Jane.
- Further meeting dates have been confirmed for the Ladyfield Consultation events. Find out more here.
- Helen Turner from The Holywood Trust informed tenants that she has a spare Tambour if anyone could use it. Contact Helen for details.
- No successes were reported by tenants
- Sarah-Jane advised tenants about funding from Foundation Scotland that is now open to social enterprises, charities and community groups in Dumfries and Galloway.
- Information was also shared about the Young Innovators Award, which is a business support programme for young adults who have a business idea that they wish to develop.
- Communication with tenants: Feedback from tenants included that direct emails to tenants when there was likely to be a significant event or disruptions on site or on any occasion where there is likely to be an increase in traffic on site would be helpful in addition to the information that goes out in the newsletter to tenants.
- NEXT TENANTS’ FORUM: 27 July at 11am on Teams and will be themed: Active Travel.
- CRICHTON BRIEFING: The next Crichton Briefing is scheduled for Tuesday 6 September at 4pm and will take the form of a Video Update from the Chief Executive and will be posted on our blog and social channels.
SCHEDULE FOR 2022: See full schedule of meeting dates below. Click here for dates and meeting themes in 2022.
- TENANTS’ FORUMS: Tenants’ Forums are about making connections and are a great way to get to know fellow tenants. They are a platform in which to share information, news, ideas and opportunities between The Crichton Community. Tenants will receive an email/diary appointment from The Crichton Trust with a link to the meeting. If you have any queries please call 01387 247544.
- CRICHTON BRIEFINGS: As well as Tenant Forums’ we also host quarterly Crichton Briefings hosted by Gwilym Gibbons, Chief Executive of The Crichton Trust. They are intended to provide an overview of ongoing developments and projects at The Crichton and usually take the form of a video update.
- Please join us if you can and please invite your colleagues to join us too – the more the better.
Is your business entry up to date in The Crichton Directory?
Have you read the latest issue of The Crichton Magazine?
Are you up to date with What’s On or want to run an event at The Crichton?
Have you been following our Small Business Saturday posts on Facebook and LinkedIn?
Have you got news to share within The Crichton Community – email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Have you met with Sarah-Jane Burns, our Business Community Development Manager? Sarah-Jane is always happy to meet for a chat or to give you a call.